Check us out on:
Check us out on:
What excitement a Christmas tree brings! Decorating the tree and lining gifts under it make millions of families happy every year. But is you tree free from mold? Trees infected with mold cause a seasonal disease called the Christmas Tree Syndrome. Symptoms include sneezing, stuffy nose, asthma, and allergies.
Don’t let the Christmas Tree sickness dampen your festive mood! Learn how to remove Christmas tree mold now!
This article will tell you more about Christmas tree mold and syndrome and what you can do about it. Here’s an overview:
Christmas Tree Syndrome is the allergic reactions of people exposed to indoor Christmas trees. The mold clinging to both live and artificial trees causes Christmas Tree Syndrome symptoms, including:
Do a thorough clean-up when you notice family members experiencing symptoms. Consult your health professional when symptoms persist.
And familiarize yourself with mold in Christmas trees to efficiently wipe them out. Here’s how live trees and artificial ones bring mold to your home:
Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and are always around us. Spores are harmless when dry. Mold grows and multiplies as colonies when moist.
A live Christmas tree can carry about 800 mold spores per square meter outside in cold temperatures. When brought into warm homes, they become moist because of the change in temperatures and activate the spores to become full-blown mold. Spore count inside the home can reach up to 5,000 spores per square meter in two weeks.
An artificial Christmas tree that is not correctly stored are prone to mold infestation. The trees have to be put in tightly sealed containers. Avoid dusty, damp, and humid storage areas. Do not use organic packing boxes such as cardboard boxes. These types of boxes become conducive homes for mold when wet.
The rule of thumb for wiping out full-blown mold involves two tasks:
Another essential thing to remember: Use a face mask and other necessary protection when removing mold from your Christmas tree.
Keep on scrolling to learn effective ways to clean and dry Christmas trees from mold:
Live Christmas trees are beautiful to have inside your home. Plus, you get more breathable oxygen, a relaxing atmosphere, cooler air, and biodegradability from top to bottom.
Here’s more. The benefits of having a real tree indoors go beyond your home. Check them out:
So, effectively cleaning mold clinging to your tree is worth it.
Here are the steps to keep your live Christmas Tree healthy and safe inside your home:
It would be best to rid your tree of mold spores before bringing them in. Below are the steps you can follow:
Wipe the pine needles, leaves, branches, trunk, and pot with the solution. You can also put it in a spray bottle and spray it away. It will help you get to hard-to-reach little areas.
Vinegar can temporarily stop mold from growing and is a safe choice for those sensitive to chemical disinfectants.
Spray the tree and let it dry before bringing it inside your home.
Now it is time to set up your tree. You need to:
Real Christmas trees are alive. They react to changes in the atmosphere, unlike artificial trees. So, the better you can hold off setting up your tree. Three to four weeks is the longest period of time where you can safely to keep inside your house without the risk of mold growth.
Mold grows fast when your live tree is indoors because of humidity and the lack of ventilation and sunlight. To keep the tree free of mold, spray it with vinegar and water or your DIY fungicidal mixture every other day. Monitor the tree for mold spots so you can spray them down immediately.
Artificial Christmas trees are preferred by 81% of American households. Here are the reasons why:
Plus, drying out parts tend to droop and make the tree out of balance. Decors may slip, and the tree can tip and fall.
However, stored artificial Christmas trees gather dust and may even have mold. Follow the steps below to keep your family safe from possible mold growth:
Mold grows only if these conditions perfectly happen: prolonged moisture, warmth, and organic materials to feed on. So, if you have thoroughly cleaned your tree, whether it is live or artificial, why is mold still growing?
Here are some things you can check:
Your live tree’s pot holds the living roots of your Christmas tree. The soil keeping it alive and steady may have mold spores in it. You must keep the soil moist as you need to water the tree to keep it lively and green. That’s when mold grows, not to mention insects, bugs, dust, and other allergens.
So, regularly change the potting mix of your tree to prevent mold infestation, especially in the roots.
When your family is experiencing Christmas Tree Syndromes symptoms after unboxing your tree, below are the possible triggers:
If it is a newly bought tree that you unboxed, then the mold or other allergens must have come from the shop. Clean and wipe down the box immediately. You can also return the item and buy your Christmas tree from a different shop.
Your storage may be infested with mold. Do visual inspection of your storage. Check the dark and damp areas for signs or mold. Early detection of mold growth makes for easier clean-up. Examine your storage facility for these other signs that mold remediation is necessary.
Removing mold from your Christmas tree is vital for your family’s health during the holiday season. Watch out for Christmas Tree Syndrome symptoms.
Keep your tree clean and dry, whether it is live or artificial. Do not allow mold infestation to thrive. Call a professional mold remover as soon as you can detect mold growth.
Brooklyn Mold Removal is a company dedicated to providing quality service. We work with industrial hygienists and professional engineers to ensure that we deliver reliable, high-quality results to our clients. We understand that people need help with their environmental safety needs, so we prioritize assisting customers in making informed decisions about their situation.